this was a good week
This was a good week. Here's why:
• Marcus had some complications from his surgery two weeks ago, but this week the doctor confirmed that with the medication he's been taking, he's headed in the right direction. Also, despite these complications, he's feeling absolutely great (other than being cranky that he can't work out for a few more weeks), and his leg is healing beautifully. Big relief all round.
• I haven't taken my bike out in a while -- and I hate riding in the summer -- but come fall, when I'm wearing my skirts, this little hack is going to come in handy to make sure I remain a lady when I run to the store.
• Although, full disclosure, I can't really complain about the Houston summer yet -- it's been hot, but not as hot as it could be. I mean, it's not like we're seeing coyotes in bird baths around here, or anything.
• A few weeks ago I shared my friend Pam's pictures of people taking pictures of people at the Grand Canyon. Here's why she was actually there: her beautiful piece about taking your time when you visit this awesome place. (I've never been. I want to go even more, now.)
• I'm convinced this photographer has the most badass job on the planet. (Not that I would want his job, you understand. Because of, you know, the incontinence that would most assuredly ensue.)
• The ONE Campaign has just launched its new initiative: ONE Girls & Women, focusing on how poverty affects girls & women disproportionately around the world, and what we can do to help. As ever, I'm thrilled to be a part of its advisory board. The ONE Campaign is amazing. Click here to see how you can get involved (remember ONE never asks for your money, just your voice).
And here's something else fun: the retailer Alex & Ani recently released a new bracelet to celebrate the launch of the ONE Girls & Women initiative, and to that end, they're throwing a party! So if you're in or around the San Francisco area on Wednesday July 23, come to an event at the the Alex & Ani store on Union Street to see their collection -- and meet my Alex and me! We're flying out special, and we'd love to meet and see you. And of course, there's no obligation to buy, but know that if you do, 15% of all sales will go to support the advocacy efforts of ONE.
You can find out more and RSVP here, if you'd like, or by clicking the image below (you can also RSVP by emailing my friend Jeannine at firstname.lastname@example.org). And feel free to bring a friend. Hope we'll see you there.
• And finally, a friend once told me that she can never look at a sunflower without smiling. In that vein, here's a beauty for your smiling pleasure.
Have a great weekend, friends.