This was a pretty stellar week. Check it:
• I spent yesterday morning photographing good people doing good things for good people who could use a hand. There were folks feeding the homeless. And preparing meals for underprivileged kids. And making lasagna for firefighters. And even pillow decorating for hospital-bound children.
And let me tell you, if that's not light, I don't know what is.
• I also spent one day this week videotaping my friend, novelist Katherine Center, at her home. It was a total experiment on my part -- I've not really videotaped anyone before -- but she was able to take the footage and edit it into this truly charming video, all about her work and writing, and her views on comedy and sorrow. It makes me want to do more video -- so stay tuned. (Also, Katherine's latest lovely book is Happiness For Beginners, released just this week. It's absolutely the perfect summer read -- I've already read it -- so make sure you have it ready for your next vacation.)
• Food colouring is possessed. (Sure, those scientists say there's a logical explanation, but I still think possession is involved.)
• This photographer takes photographs of strangers so that they resemble found dolls. I usually find dolls really creepy, but I find her work sort of mesmerizing.
• Google has added a Pac-Man feature to their Maps app -- you can play Pac-Man in your neighbourhood! Simply pull up Google Maps on your desktop, look up your neighbourhood, and click the Pac-Man icon at the bottom of the screen. But you might not want to do this until you have nothing to do -- this is a total time suck. An awesome, awesome time suck.
• This dude has his iPhone stolen, and subsequently became a celebrity in China. It's a long, very weird story, but totally worth the read.
• And for the song of the day, Electric Lady by Janelle Monáe. Lately, Alex is entranced by the concepts of (a) Janelle Monáe, and (b) university life. Coupled with the fact that I love the retro feel of this song, this has been on constant repeat in our house.
Click here or on the image below to watch and listen.
And with that, today is the end of my #40daysoflight! I'm going to take my first weekend off blogging in 40 days, and will be back on Monday. We're expecting a very special houseguest, so I'm sure I'll have a lot to share with you when I return.
In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend; and for those who celebrate, Happy Easter and Passover!