This was a good week. Here's why:
• Alex attended a birthday slumber party earlier this week, and one of the activities they did -- and I promise I had nothing to do with this -- included potting some plants. I was thrilled when she came home Monday morning with the crimson caladium, above -- such brilliant, tropical leaves! It was like she brought a tiny bit of Trinidad home with her.
• Speaking of Alex, as of yesterday at 3:25 p.m., she's officially a 5th grader. How did that happen so fast?
• Zebras: are they black with white stripes, or white with black stripes? (One thing's for sure: they're gorgeous).
• This week, the sails of Sydney Opera House were illuminated with breathtaking light as part of Vivid LIVE. Australia, you are so awesome.
• A soldier documents his time in Afghanistan using tintype photography. Amazing images.
• Actor Jeff Goldblum plays a weekly jazz show in Los Angeles, and has been doing so for 15 years. I loved him with an unreasonable ardour even before I saw this, and now I adore him more.
• CNN shared 31 selfies from around the world. I know selfies aren't supposed to be cool, but I love seeing them. Selfie away, I say.
• LIME RETREATS IS ALMOST SOLD OUT -- there are just 2 spots left in this fall's LimeLight Sessions. Also, the early bird registration fee expires at close of business tomorrow. I'd love if you'd join me -- see you in October?
• And finally, for today's song of the day, the inimitable Maya Angelou, performing her poem And Still I Rise. And so she does.
1928 - 2014
Have a wonderful weekend, beautiful friends.