this was a good week
Here's the awesome that made my week:
• See the guy in the photo? About 20 minutes before I shot this, I watched him walk into this coffeeshop, I briefly (and irrationally) mistook him for a friend of mine who lives in Utah, and then I went back to working on my computer. Five minutes after that, he walked up to me: "Karen?"
Turns out he's a guy who used to hang out at this coffee house about 20 years ago when I was a daily regular -- I didn't recognize him because he was clean-shaven when we used to have coffee together. He's doing great -- his business is going gangbusters, he's teaching, he's happy.
I love running into happy friends.
• Bobbi went to Switzerland and got engaged -- and has the photos to prove it. I love love, don't you?
• Slow-motion footage of trains pulling into stations. Mesmerizing.
• Christine Castro Hughes is one of my favourite design bloggers -- but this week, she shared her husband's work: he sketches vignettes of their homelife. Can you just imagine his beautiful journals? His children, and their children, and their children's children are so going to cherish them one day.
• I did an interview with Barrie Davenport earlier this week, and now she's giving away 3 signed copies of my book. Go leave a comment!
• You gotta love people who can walk on water. Or, you know, oobleck.
• 37 Polaroids taken backstage at the Golden Globe Awards. Your favourite celebrities, without the benefit of Photoshop. Don't they all look like they could be your best friends?
• These photographs, shot by a Russian photographer of her sons on her farm, make me wonder what the hell I think I'm even doing with my camera. Incredible photography.
• The good people at The ONE Campaign shared 11 reasons to be optimistic this year. Fantastic news. (Also, if you haven't already, consider becoming a member of ONE -- they do amazing work fighting against extreme poverty, and they never ask for your money -- just your voice.)
And with that, have an amazing weekend, friends.