this was a good week
This was a good week! Here's why:
• This is my first week back after several weeks of speaking gigs, and it's nice to have some quiet time. Still, I was incredibly productive, and the week was filled with tea and shortbread cookies. Score.
• I'm retiring my online course, GLOW. Why does this make it a good week? Because for the rest of the month, enter FADEOUT at checkout for 40% off the price. I'm looking at other options to launch new courses (including, possibly this one on a new platform), so stay tuned. But for now, this is the best price you're going to get the content, so go get you some -- remember FADEOUT at checkout!
• Teaching math lessons in the sky. This makes me want to buy a kite for the summer!
• A solar-powered house built in the ruins of a 19th century farmhouse. I'd need to add some rugs to it, but this might be the most architecturally beautiful "restoration" I've ever seen.
• Back in the late 70s - early 80s, every Friday night would find me at the roller skating rink. Every. Friday. Night. So I'm loving this story that skating culture is alive and well in Atlanta. I may have to go there, because I have this rubber-legs move ...
• And finally for the soundtrack: This is America by Childish Gambino. I'm sharing his performance on Saturday Night Live of this song here, because it's a great performance, I love the dancing school kids, and the song has been on my mind all week. But if you haven't seen it yet, be sure to look up the official video of this song. Unlike this Saturday Night Live performance, the official video is intensely shocking and disturbing, yet powerful and political and truly a piece of provocative art all at the same time. (You can see a collection of the amazing conversation that the video sparked, along with the actual video, here.) And even though the subject matter of this song is darker than I normally share on Fridays, the fact that Donald Glover (the real name of Childish Gambino) and artists like him continue to push us to think and reflect and even act is a very good thing.
Click here or the image below to watch and listen to the Saturday Night Live version.
And on that thoughtful note, have a great weekend, friends. See you next week.