this was a good week
This was a good week! Here's what awesome happened:
• This week my parents moved to a townhouse 5 minutes from our home. I've spend a few days this week helping them move in. It's pretty exciting for all of us that they'll be right around the corner!
• Hawaii's volcano has been spewing green gems into the sky. It's literally raining olivine.
• And speaking of amazing planets, check out these closest-ever images of Saturn. Gorgeous.
• Vintage East African postcards. What an intriguing history.
• And finally, this week's soundtrack: Love Make the World Go Round by Jennifer Lopez and Lin-Manuel Miranda. I discovered that Jennifer Lopez and Lin-Manuel Miranda released this song two years ago to raise money for the victims of the Orlando nightclub shooting, a mass shooting at a gay club in Orlando, Florida two years ago this week, an act that is widely considered to be a hate crime. As it happens, this week was also the 51st anniversary of the Supreme Court decision in Loving vs. Virginia, which deemed anti-miscegenation laws illegal in America, allowing for the legality of interracial marriages (like mine). So it seems only fitting that this anthem be this week's soundtrack -- because love is love is love is love is love.
Click here or the image below to watch and listen.
And on that joyful note, have a great weekend, everyone.
Dogs on land, dogs of the sea, and the most beautiful eulogy I’ve ever read.
Featuring Chris Hemsworth, body art, and our cool new welcome mat.
Featuring a wedding in Iceland, Ed Sheeran, and 350-year-old ice cream.
A quick one today.
Featuring art as mirror, x-rays of zoo animals, and an almost perfect apple pie.
Featuring butterfly wings, an awesome obituary and a Jamiroquai/Bee Gees mashup.
Featuring horror movies, Japanese funeral flower arrangements, and cross-stitch for hip-hop.
Featuring lessons from comedy, winding roads, and Daryl Hall & Kenny Loggins.
Featuring rugs, trombones and terrifyingly realistic masks.
Hang in there, friends. Light is coming.