random thoughts: the kind of person i am ... so far
- doesn't drink enough water, and when she does, can only drink it through a straw;
- loves clothing and people who have unique and individual style; yet generally dislikes fashion, fashion magazines and shopping;
- dislikes flying, but loves the long periods of uninterrupted reading time air travel affords;
- makes a mean rum punch; and
- unreasonably disconcerted by feet.
But as I was making the list, I couldn't help remembering an encounter with a woman in my neighbourhood last Thursday morning. I was walking back from taking Alex to school, and I saw her. She's someone I see often: she spends most mornings walking her springer spaniel, and I assumed her to be quite a bit older than me: 60, I guessed, perhaps 65.
On this particular morning, she looked particularly radiant, and as his her normal friendly way, she called out hello.
"Hi," I smiled back. "You look great this morning! You must be having a great day!"
"Oh thank you," she grinned. "You know, I just celebrated my 80th birthday* last week."
Eighty years old.
We spoke a bit longer, and as I walked back home, I realized that at 80, she was almost exactly twice my age. As in, if I'm meant to live as long as she has, I have my entire life to live again first.
Seems like a lot of time for my list to change.
*Obviously, I asked her what her secret was to living to 80 years old and remaining beautiful and young-looking. She told me that she loved the outdoors, and she loved beautiful things. "I just like looking at beautiful things," she stressed again.
Naturally, I took notes.