this was a good week
This was a good week! Here's why:
• It's the weekend before Christmas! Also, the cold snap we had 2 weeks ago fooled our trees into thinking it was fall in the northeastern United States. Their colour makes me happy.
• A holiday manifesto for introverts. Cosign.
• I love dominoes -- especially rainbow-coloured ones.
• The New York Times did a little mini-documentary about the moko jumbies of Trinidad & Tobago -- so great when an internationally renowned publication features the beauty of my tiny country.
• Famous faces on tintype. Gorgeous.
• And finally, for today's soundtrack, Heaven in Pennies, by jazz prodigy Esperanza Spalding. Last September, with the help of some talented musicians and singers, Esperanza created an entire 10-song album from scratch in 77 hours, and livestreamed the whole process. I bought one of the 7,777 copies that were pressed, and it arrived this week. While the whole album is great, this particular song has been on constant repeat (I shared why this song means so much to me here). If you're a fan of jazz, click on the arrow below to listen -- and it's best appreciated through headphones with the sound up. (And if you'd like to see a glimpse of how this song was made, don't miss this clip of the final take of the instruments during her livestream.)
On that soaring note, have a great weekend, friends. If you're traveling, stay safe.