this was a good week
This was a good week! I know I've been somewhat absent this week, but this has been a weirdly busy week offline, so apologies for not being around much, friends. But the week was full of so much good, too. Here's why:
• I promise I won't turn this into a construction blog -- I promise -- but, my friends, we have walls. This means the house we're building is actually beginning to take shape. So. excited.
• And speaking of new homes, this new series on Design*Sponge, Celebrating Roots -- which explores the influence heritage and culture have on our homes -- speaks deeply to me. As we prepare for our new home, I've been thinking a lot about how my culture (Trinidadian, with African, Chinese and Indian roots), Marcus' culture (English/Irish), and Alex's culture (Mexican-American and Afro-Colombian) inform our family's world outlook, and how I want that outlook to show up in our home. I can't wait to read more and be inspired about how the culture of others shows up in theirs.
• How Dr. Martens makes their iconic shoes. I had no idea they were still essentially handmade. I may have to go get myself a new pair!
• Rainbow roads. Gorgeous.
• Proof that kids should be in charge of naming things. (And here on Chookooloonks, rhinos shall henceforth be known as battle unicorns.)
• I always try to read for pleasure more in the summer, so TED's list of 88 books to read this season is giving me mad inspiration.
• And speaking of summer, it's tomato season around these parts, and this looks like a lovely, easy summer dinner. Add a glass of sparkling white and a patio ... magic.
• And finally, today's soundtrack ... well, we're on a summertime roll, and Morcheeba just came out with a new album, so this new song seems only fitting.
Click the arrow below to listen to It's Summertime.
Have a great weekend, friends. See you next week.