this was a good week
This was a good week! Here’s why:
• It was my birthday this week, I celebrated exactly the way I wanted to, and our neighbour’s lime tree is full of ripe limes, and she told us we could take as much as we wanted. Rum punch for the win.
• The wind ballet, from the Museum of Tomorrow, in Rio de Janeiro. Mesmerizing.
• We’ll be flying out of Heathrow Airport in a few weeks — I hope we get to see this amazing tapestry in the departure lounge.
• This photographer turned a shipping container into a working camera. And the images that resulted are lovely.
• And finally, for today’s soundtrack, Now That We Found Love by Heavy D & The Boyz. So this week, I googled “authentic pad thai recipe,” and the first search result that popped up was this one. As it happens, this site is authored by friend Alice Currah, who was a travel companion when I went to Ethiopia 7 years ago. While we were there, this song came on the sound system of the van we were traveling in, and she and I started spontaneously dancing with abandon — a memory that immediately came to mind when I saw the recipe.
I’m making the recipe this weekend. Alice, this one’s for you.
See you next week, friends.
Featuring old cameras, weird photos and the stories we tell ourselves.
Featuring expressive animators, watercolour sitcoms, and kung-fu-fighting nuns.
Featuring a knitted fence, chalk graffiti, and 100 days of vertical video.
Featuring a wind ballet, a giant tapestry, and a camera made out of a shipping container
Featuring volleyball, optical illusion murals, and blues musicians.
Featuring a solar eclipse, an inflatable labyrinth, and a pug with moves.
Featuring possibly haunted staircases, an epic reading list, and an all-female around-the-world sailing crew.
Featuring fireflies, optical illusions, and laughter from a dirty joke.
Featuring dry erase art, crocheted leaves and twigs, and the amazing Billy Porter.
Featuring food cameras, laughing babies, and Mahalia