this was a good week
This was a good week! Here’s why:
• It was my birthday this week, I celebrated exactly the way I wanted to, and our neighbour’s lime tree is full of ripe limes, and she told us we could take as much as we wanted. Rum punch for the win.
• The wind ballet, from the Museum of Tomorrow, in Rio de Janeiro. Mesmerizing.
• We’ll be flying out of Heathrow Airport in a few weeks — I hope we get to see this amazing tapestry in the departure lounge.
• This photographer turned a shipping container into a working camera. And the images that resulted are lovely.
• And finally, for today’s soundtrack, Now That We Found Love by Heavy D & The Boyz. So this week, I googled “authentic pad thai recipe,” and the first search result that popped up was this one. As it happens, this site is authored by friend Alice Currah, who was a travel companion when I went to Ethiopia 7 years ago. While we were there, this song came on the sound system of the van we were traveling in, and she and I started spontaneously dancing with abandon — a memory that immediately came to mind when I saw the recipe.
I’m making the recipe this weekend. Alice, this one’s for you.
See you next week, friends.
Featuring comic Sindhu Vee, a spotted zebra, and everybody wanting to rule the world.
Featuring edible clothing, a paralyzed man who walks, and a joyful musical family.
Featuring underground caverns, MonkeyBird murals and a funky dance.
Featuring a drone annoying a dog, a sleeping octopus, and a bonsai that’s seen some stuff.
Featuring beautiful harvest images, a portrait of the elusive Banksy, and ways to help those affected by Tropical Storm Imelda this past week.
Featuring a true polyglot, funny animals, and the good kind of scat.
Featuring weird animals, beautiful landscapes, and how to help the Bahamas recover from Hurricane Dorian.
Featuring crazy-realistic paintings, movement for the joy of it, and the best open letter to a man who yelled “Go back to Africa!” ever.
Featuring old cameras, weird photos and the stories we tell ourselves.
Featuring expressive animators, watercolour sitcoms, and kung-fu-fighting nuns.